Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Don't Bother With The Shit

I actually attended from 94 to 2,000....was a co founder of Radio Free Burning man in 94,and spent my last two years as a DPW paid monkey,a good 2-3 months of my time each of the last two years....so,ummmmm,yeah,I am not that uninformed on what the event was,is,or could be.

1994,2,000 people...nice little community,cool art,elitism and yahhoism not really a factor yet......doing pirate radio was a blast...had a lot of fun that year,and even the next...when its size doubled,but it still had that chaotic freeform feel,and rave camp was a single entity far away ,out of sight,out of mind.

96...hell year...the freeform feeling starting to get a little out of control as more yahoos and general idiocy reared their collective ugly heads....and then....

97...off the main playa,I actually enjoyed this year,we made a nuisance of ourselves by alienting most of our neighbors with general bullhorn antics(this was before bullhorns proliferated like peirced body parts and rave camps)....this was also the first year streets and a main esplanade were in effect...which took a little of the spontanaity out of the equation.....

...98....not a terrible year,except for the fact that as soon as we got our stage erected for musicians and such to perfom on,a throng arrived next door and within two hours had a huge tarped rave camp up and thumping ...drowning out most everything we attempted....this was the year rave camps popped up like 7 11s or starbucks on seemingly every corner...making it all but inmpossible to escape the mindless drone of the beat...the beat...harder faster,louder faster...the beat.....

99...not sure why,but ended up joining dpw in late july or so...had a blast setting up and such...but the worst time for me was the week of the actual event...and then came back for one last hurrah,but by then,I realized how much time burning man had sucked out of my life at that point...Radio Free Burning Man at this point had started to resemble a commercial version of pirate radio,and I no longer felt kindred to my own creation...the scales seemed to tip more to the ravey side of things,and I was now just contributing time and sweat instead of creativity to the event...not to mention my sanity went on a downhill slide near the end of that last year....

Would I ever go back?Highly doubtful....Do I sound like a griping old timer who insists "It was better when...."You betcha..and I make no apologies for that.

It did once hold a certain charm for me,but now it has become a money generating monolithic party...and I do know Larry Harvey and several of the other "oldsters" personally...some still basking in it,and others since fallen by the wayside....anyhow......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home